i have a question...

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Summer Job, 2nd edition, vol. VI (Mostly I'm Sweaty)

I don't even remember when I posted last. It feels like weeks...

OK, it was Thursday.

What's happened since then?

Friday, we had our final day of training and then the Staff Talent Show.

Now, last year, I couldn't decide what I wanted to do that would feel right. So I read my books post. The reception it got was so warm and generous, and when I told people I wanted to read something again this year, I got nothing but totally excited responses.

It's pretty amazing to be in a place where 100% of the people you talk to are curious and interested in what you write.

Not to mention who you are.

Anyway, I read this and got another amazing response.

The night was chockful of ridiculous talent.

I finally went out with the staff Friday night and stayed up super late, chatting and confessing as you can only do at camp, with some other staff members.

Yesterday, we had a short morning of prepping for the kids' arrival and then we traveled to the beach as a staff for the afternoon.

I haven't been to a beach in YEARS, and I even managed to avoid getting sunburned. Dipped my feet in the ocean, napped in the shade, and ended up singing in a large group until it was time to head back to campus. Went out to dinner with some of my colleagues, sat in a hammock with others until not too late.

It was a pretty lovely day.

The kids arrived this afternoon, and after stuffing envelopes for their registration, I stood in a lecture hall to help photograph them for their IDs.

It's amazing how even the cushiest jobs here start feeling laborious after 4 1/2 hours. My legs started cramping, I lost my words after saying the same thing to over 400 kids...

And then, my day ended with the absurd task of transferring a ROOM full of linen packets across campus to another room. We probably did ten runs of six wheelbarrows full.

And now my body hurts in a way it hasn't in a year.

And, honestly, I don't even really mind.

No comments: