i have a question...

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Job, 2nd edition, vol. V (27 and a Day)

It feels like years since I wrote last.

Yesterday was the curriculum training day for the other instructors, which meant my team and I spent the day:
Introducing ourselves with a song;
Leading panel discussions with returning faculty and new faculty about teaching strategies;
Running a sample lesson with our faculty advisees;
Distributing course materials and noting materials and classroom grievances;
Meeting with each of our individual advisees to talk about the first week.

It was a 12-hour day where I did not stop and began to notice late in the day that I wasn't feeling well. Had a sore throat and body aches.

Still, I was determined to enjoy my birthday, ran home to change and meet my friends who were going to come out with me, and started to feel like I was going to pass out. I couldn't figure out if it was because I needed food or water or rest or all three.

By the time we got to the bar, I wasn't sure how long I'd last, and I pounded three glasses of water and signed up to sing one song at karaoke, hoping for the best.

By 10:30, I was so queasy, I knew I wouldn't make it. One friend ran out to buy me granola bars. Everyone rallied around to see if I was OK, and by the time I figured I should just go home, a couple insisted on walking me there.

My birthday party continued without me, and apparently, was pretty amazing.

Back at the dorm, somehow, I got out of my clothes and ready for bed, but ended up puking twice that night.

My diagnosis: total dehydration. It had been an insane, hot, busy day. And I just didn't pay attention to how much water I was drinking.

Bad Annie.

I woke up today, exhausted but feeling generally OK. And had a very productive day.

In which I drank more than 4 bottles of water.

Considering I've already been to the nurse to deal with a huge welt given to me by some insect, I'm hoping this isn't the Summer of the Infirmary.

No comments: