i have a question...

Friday, June 18, 2010

Summer Job, 2nd edition, vol. II (Travel)

What a long, strange couple of days it's been.

And, can I just mention again, what a pain in the ass it is to travel alone with two gigantic bags full of 8 weeks of luggage?

I am running on about 5 hours of sleep after 7th Annual Birthday Extravaganza, which involved mind-blowing renditions of such varied classics as "Like a Prayer," "Love is a Battlefield," "That Don't Impress Me Much," "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," and "Always Be My Baby," among many, many others. It was a pretty epic night of karaoke, if I do say so myself.

I had much-needed and much-appreciated help, from S and her bf, with my bags to the train station this afternoon. Our strange cabdriver, whose name was Luckmann Lalanne (I shit you not) and who wore what looked like a three-piece suit, took a convoluted way to the station and dropped us off a block away.

The train to CT was PACKED. So much so that I struggled and whined to the other passengers to help me get my bag away and above the aisle and then plopped down in a four-seat area, only to be bombarded by three young people who pressed their knees against mine, sitting across from me.

Turns out they were on their way to a Phish concert. They even brought their own Miller Lites, which they drank indiscreetly. (Joy.)

So, instead of getting to nap, I overheard the drama about the two girls and their older, totally hot, male friend, who was married but still, apparently, ferociously made out with one of the girls one night. The two girls talked about him when he went to get more beer and when he came back, he asked, too-innocently, "What are you guys talking about?"

Drama.

I got to campus in one piece and unpacked in no time, starving and sweaty and exhausted.

Met my neighbors in the dorms and reunited with a few peeps from last year. (This year, I'm living in much fancier digs and away from campus where the kiddoes will be.) Got some dinner. Did some work that I wasn't able to do this week. (I still have a BUNCH more to do...but, instead, I plan to go to sleep momentarily because training starts at 9 tomorrow.)

What have I gotten myself into again?

Pray for me.

No comments: