i have a question...

Monday, June 7, 2010

Overheard in the Classroom (or Kids These Days), vol. XIV, the Special Edition

I visited my kids today, for the last time this year, since I'm heading out of town Thursday and will be back for only 48 hours before I'm gone again for the summer. They still have more than two weeks of school left!

I can't even express how lovely it was to NOT teach them today. I got so many hugs and everyone was so happy to see me. It's amazing how unflinching their love is when I'm not their teacher.

And, of course, they cracked me the eff up.

"Can I have another copy of the assignment?"--one of the high schoolers, treating me as if I'd never left. I got asked by several others if they could leave to use the bathroom. Old habits die hard, I suppose.

"We're selling a happy ending."--another high schooler's answer for the commercial project they were working on. I don't think I was supposed to hear him, but I thought it was hilarious.

"You know black people can't afford jewelry, girl."--one of my favorites, asserting to me that the ethnicity of the demographic they'd be selling jewelry to for their commercial project would NATURALLY be white.

Me: Have you missed me?
Kid: No.
And I believed him.

"I'm gonna start reading the dictionary to improve my vocabulary."--one of the 8th graders, explaining his plans to become a better rapper and lyricist. I assured him he could read regular books too. Even books that he LIKED!

"We're gonna hook you up when we get famous."
"Hopefully, it'll happen faster than expected."--my two favorite 8th graders, making this future teacher proud.

"Subpoena! Subpenis!"--an 8th grader...being an 8th grader. He also spent the entire class doing humping motions.

I missed them so.

No comments: