i have a question...

Friday, April 9, 2010

Overheard in the Classroom (or Kids These Days), vol. X

"I don't know what's wrong with her. She probably has her period."--an intro student, talking to my mentor teacher about me, after I told him many times to calm down and get his work done.

"Time is going so fast these days."--my special ed student, commenting on his existential crisis.

"What's pucking?"--a special ed student, reading the word "puking" off the board. I had listed it as a possible pantomime to do in a hospital scene.

"That's so fun, I can barely laugh!"--a special ed student, after we chased another student as part of scene work.

"It's too early to run."--one of my 8th graders, as we walked to school together, after getting off the same train. I told him I felt like I should let him run along, so he wouldn't get teased for walking with me.

"I don't have time for hot soup."--this is actually a quote from one of the teachers. I think it totally indicates the state of mind of Boston Public School teachers.

"You don't have to yell at me; I thought we were friends."--one of my favorite intro students, emotionally blackmailing me. I figured it would happen eventually.

"Zeus hit me with a lightning bolt and turned my crab claws to guns."--an incredibly creative 8th grade student, who worked really hard to use the horns from a viking helmet as claws for his costume. Then, his classmate, who has been playing Zeus, came over and cured him, so the horns sat in his pockets, as pistols. Too good.

"Too much pelvis!"--another 8th grader, while we took pictures during some rare freetime. They acted like humans, for once, and they played among the rehearsal cubes, but this guy didn't want to peek his head out because boys were standing above him.

No comments: