i have a question...

Monday, December 16, 2013

Just Write {4}

One week from today, I will be high above the middle of the country, en route to Los Angeles.

This will be the third year in a row that I spend the winter holiday break with my cousins and their sons in California.

It's a welcome switch from my grueling routine here in chilly New England, to be on the schedule of a family of two kids under 8, whose days pass with morning playtime, afternoon naps, meals together, TV time, and early bedtimes.

I cannot wait to see that part of my family, drink lots of wine, play games, and hang with the kiddoes.

When I get back, it will be just in time for New Year's, which, despite the cliched heaviness of noting the passing of another year, has been my favorite holiday for many years.

I love new beginnings and the chance to reflect on the year that has passed.

This year was a DOOZY: turning 30 and S getting married would be enough to make it a banner year, but add to that the Boston bombings this spring, a week in Disney World with 150 people, and my grandmother passing away in late September, and I shouldn't be surprised at all that it's all passed so disorientingly quickly.

I forced myself into new situations and learned SO MANY new things about myself.

Two years ago, my New Year's resolution--the first one I'd ever really made--was to SAY YES MORE. Last year, it was to LET MY FREAK FLAG FLY. These resolutions are so closely related, they might as well be twins, but really, what I've resolved to do for two years (and will continue to do in 2014) comes down to this:

BE MYSELF.

No comments: