i have a question...

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

AI Top 10

Here’s the scoop for tonight’s “sing a song from the year you were born” show, according to Entertainment Weekly. They don’t want Carly Smithson to sing “Total Eclipse of the Heart,” and they don’t want David Archuleta to sing any Michael Bolton. David Cook is officially first on the Power List audience vote, and “Other” is #3, after David Archuleta. I’m assuming that’s Jason Castro. (Syesha is last.)

Ramiele’s first, which, as we know, means she’s in danger. Carly already sang Heart’s“Alone.” So did Carrie Underwood. Don’t mess. Simon thinks she’s safe. He’s usually right, but I wouldn’t be so sure. Her use of the phrase “went bye bye” on national TV is reason enough for her to be kicked off.

Jason Castro’s baby pictures make me die. He’s singing Sting’s “Fragile”; he’s just so talented. It’s not the best he’s done, but I find him magnetic when he performs. Simon says he sounded like a busker, which I can agree with, but I think he’s certainly safe. I wonder just how overwhelmed he is, though, and how that will continue to affect him for the next 10 weeks.

Syesha’s singing “If I Were Your Woman.” As a side note, I love this song. This is her best performance all season, in my opinion.

Chikezie is up next with “If Only for One Night.” His baby pictures also make me die. I think he needs to break out of the ballad niche, considering that the one night I really noticed him was when he sang “She’s a Woman” and took such a big risk. This is fine, but it’s forgettable. Too old-fashioned, as Randy attests; not original enough, according to Simon. I agree with both.

Brooke White is next with The Police’s “Every Breath You Take.” Her parents look fantastic for having children 25 years old and older. She began and had to start over, but this is a great song choice for her, and I think her piano schtick is serving her nicely. She’s not the most technically great singer in the competition, but I really believe her when she’s singing. She also seems to have learned how to not blab back to the judges. We love that.

Michael Johns is almost 30 and looks exactly like his mother. Entertainment Weekly wanted him to sing Queen! I love when they’re right. Good for him for knowing to return to his star turn during Hollywood Week. He seems back in true form.

Carly Smithson and straightens her hair. She’s singing “Total Eclipse of the Heart”! She’d better kill it. I think she did very well, but there is something about her that just hasn’t sent me the way it did during auditions. I think Simon calling her on being uptight is right on. There is a desperation to her performances that isn’t appealing. She’s good; she needs to relax.

David Archuleta might miss prom because of American Idol. He was born in 1990. That makes me feel 850. He’s singing “You’re the Voice,” which I’ve never even heard of. He’s fine and safe, but this is a weak song choice.

Kristy Lee Cook’s parents look old; I’m confused. She’s singing “God Bless the USA,” and I really don’t think she’s going home this week. I think it was a brilliant and manipulative song choice and she’s certainly sung worse.

David Cook is up last, and I am officially dead from the cuteness of the baby pictures. His mom looks great. He’s singing Chris Cornell’s version of “Billie Jean,” and I just love him for all these alternative versions of classics. I think he’s so smart for doing them week after week! So solid. He might just have a chance of taking that frontrunner status from David A.

Favorite of the Night: David Cook
On the Way Out: Ramiele or maybe Chikezie

No comments: