i have a question...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

some notes on tonight's AI

Because it was requested and I do have time tonight, here are my thoughts on the first performances of Season 7 of Idol. (Not sure how often I'll be able to do this; next week, I'll be in Austin, so I won't be posting. Then, rehearsals start. Etc.)

BUT, these are the performances, in order of my preference:
David Archuleta--with "Shop Around." He has such control; I think he's going to go very far. And goodness, he's adorable, isn't he?
Jason Castro--we haven't seen him at all in the audition footage, but his lovely version of "Daydream" was definitely memorable and would have been even if he had sung earlier in the show.
Michael Johns--certainly wins the Hottie of the Season Award. Good solid "Light My Fire," albeit nothing special per se.
David Hernandez--was burdened with singing first and I initially had him much lower on my list. But this was a solid, controlled version of "Wait Till the Midnight Hour."
David Cook--I just dig this guy's vibe. He did well with "Happy Together," and his smile kills me a little.
Danny Noriega--his "Jailhouse Rock" was OK. Honestly, I'm not sure how well a contestant who is so fey will do in the competition.
Robbie Carrico--did fine with "One." I think he has a good ear, but I wasn't particularly moved.
Colton Berry--a fair "Suspicious Minds."
Chikezie--is a cutie, but I heartily agreed that his version of "More Today than Yesterday" was far too old-fashioned.
I think it's a three-way tie between Jason Yeager's "Moon River," which was just cheesy, Luke Menard's weak whatever it was he sang, and Garrett Haley's pretty pathetic version of "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" for worst of the night.

I'm eager to hear the girls.

No comments: