i have a question...

Monday, December 15, 2008

conversations with my teacher, vol. V

My final paper for RM's class, Performance Theatre and Community, is a 10-page culminating essay, combining my application to Emerson, every paper I wrote for RM's class, details from an observation assignment for my Drama as Education class, and a lesson plan I wrote. It's also virtually the first draft of a grant proposal I will one day prepare to request money to start a performing arts center for urban youth, which I am swiftly realizing is my mission, and an attainable goal.

When I spoke with RM about it at today's final meeting, she said that it's easy for me to write academically, but that the personal is more compelling and, since that is what is propelling me toward this goal, I should "embrace the richness my past provides me." She told me I should not consider it "sentiment" but "poetry."

Her final notes on the paper itself were: "I appreciate the broad and personal basis for your proposal, and will be happy to support it however I can."

Maybe she'll serve on the Board of Directors of the organization one day.

No comments: