i have a question...

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

my life plan, one year at a time

The 2009-2010 schoolyear has come into focus, swiftly, in the last few weeks. It's going to be an insane year, to say the least, starting with a 10-day trip to various points in California right after THIS semester (finally) ends in May, with my good friend, SE. We will be in Los Angeles for a few days, visiting his family and mine, then will head up to the Bay, since he's never been and I must see people there! Memorial Day weekend will be spent in Atlantic City with S, and I'm sure hilarity will ensue, as it usually does when one combines Atlantic City, me, and S. HA!

I'll have about three weeks to frolic in Boston before I head to New Haven for seven weeks. Back early August, when I will have about a month to recoup before the insanity of my second (and final!) year at Emerson begins.

I'm taking two classes fall semester, Playwriting with Youth and Contemporary Issues in Education. On top of that, I will be facilitating a directed study, adapting and deconstructing this (read the whole thing if you can) with a small core of actors, then directing and presenting it in a site-specific series around campus. The best thing about this project, besides the fact that SE and LH will both be heavily involved, is that RM is my advisor, and every time I talk to her about the project (all of two times, so far, but we will eventually have regular meetings, on top of the work I'll do for her already, to discuss my progress), she gives me something incredibly insightful and brilliant to focus on or contemplate. (That was a very complex sentence. I apologize for all the commas.) It's going to be amazing to work with her in this new way.

And, besides that, in anticipation of student-teaching in the spring (a requirement of my program, if we're on the licensure track), I'll be working with RM fifteen hours a week in the fall, instead of my usual ten. This is so I can accrue hours to rollover into the spring, when I'll basically be working fulltime in a school.

I've ALSO applied to associate direct a mainstage show for the spring. I initially anticipated proposing directing Iphigenia 2.0 for the mainstage, but they are not offering any full production directing slots for students next year. Instead, there will be an evening of short plays by contemporary female playwrights and the director is going to work with three associate directors. I'm not sure how that will work or when I'll interview or hear about the next steps for that, but it's something I figured I had to apply for.

So, basically. See you in May 2010 at commencement. K bye.

No comments: