i have a question...

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Work work work work work

Today, it's been five weeks since I started the new job.

I still feel very much in transition.

It helps to be close to family, to be able to run home after a hard or long day, wash off the day, change into my PJ's, and go drink wine with the cousins or have a dance party with the boys or binge-watch Orphan Black. And The Fall. And The Walking Dead.

It helps that I don't share a bathroom or kitchen or living room with anyone, so if I need a moment of quiet after my day, I get it in my apartment.

It helps that my team already seems to appreciate me and has been vocal about it.

I work both weekend days and my days off are Thursday and Friday. Twice a week, I have a ten-hour day.

I'm doing my very best to stay fed and hydrated. To take my hour long breaks that are due to me every day.

I'm doing my best not to get overwhelmed with the new information, new personality dynamics, new schedule, new culture. To imbue the department with my signature dose of positivity, support, and humor.

I'm doing my best to remember that whatever I may be frustrated with now is most likely temporary, as we all continue to settle into a new rhythm and straighten out our staffing structure.

I'm doing my best to get a good night's sleep each work night. At least 8 hours, if I can manage it.

But I woke up early this morning and had a realization.

I miss writing.





2 comments:

LMorland said...

Wonderful closure to your post! I enjoyed the entire narrative, but your ending really nailed it for me.

(What is your new job, by the way?)

LMorland said...

Are you still at the new job? (I'm a friend of your mom's, by the way. We got to know one another during her brief sojourn in Berkeley.)