i have a question...

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

another typical day at school

Tuesdays are my long day. I'm on campus from 9 AM to 10 PM, with two hour-long breaks for meals. Yesterday, after working until 5 in the department office, I just headed straight to where my acting class happens at 6 and tried to get some reading done.

Emerson has pretty established BFA programs, in both acting and musical theater. I was sitting in the small, fluorescently-lit hallway for about an hour, surrounded by the cacophonous noise of beginning acting and voice classes: chords of "Tomorrow," followed by the beginning of "Far From the Home I Love," capped off with "Memory." I was unimpressed with the choices. Doesn't anyone sing anything good in those classes?

But it was nothing compared to the screaming coming from the acting class:
"I have a red shirt; YOU have a red shirt!"
"I have my bag; YOU have YOUR bag!"
"I have glue on my hands; YOU HAVE GLUE ON YOUR HANDS!"
(Like the world was ending. Several times in a row. For MINUTES on end.) I can only imagine it was some kind of exercise about objectives in a scene. Or subtext.

But it just made me laugh to myself.

Silly acting students. :)

No comments: